Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Moïse murder suspect charged in US courts, may plead not guilty

The Haitian Times
www.haitiantimes.com 

Haitian Times Former President Moise's coffin
Former President Jovenel Moïse’s coffin during his funeral on Jul. 23, 2021. Photo by Samuel Volcy for The Haitian Times

MIAMI — Mario Palacios, a key suspect in the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse, appeared to a federal court in Miami Jan. 4 and was charged with conspiring to kill or kidnap Moïse outside the United States, according to The New York Times.

Palacios is the first suspect to be charged in the U.S. He was being transported from Jamaica to Colombia on Jan. 3, but during a layover in Panama asked to go to the U.S. instead.

Palacios, a retired Colombian soldier, was allegedly part of a group of South American mercenaries who killed Moïse in his home in Pelerin 5, Port-au-Prince, in July 2021. Former First Lady Martine Moise was also shot but survived. 

The group of mercenaries had been allegedly tasked with kidnapping Moïse, according to the Times report. 

Another suspect who was also arrested said Palacios was at Moïse home family’s during the assassination, according to Jamaican news outlet Jamaica Gleaner. Palacios told Colombian magazine Semana that when he arrived at the Moïse home, the president was already dead. 

Palacios has a pretrial hearing scheduled for later this month. His attorney Alfredo Izaguirre said Palacios will most likely plead not guilty. 

After the assassination, he fled to the Dominican Republic then went on to Jamaica, entering the island illegally. 

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Palacios was arrested in Jamaica last October.

Haiti filed two extradition requests for Jamaica to send Palacios back to Haiti, but Jamaica denied both because of lack of evidence.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Mario Palacios may plead guilty. Palacios’ attorney Alfredo Izaguirre said Palacios will most likely plead not guilty.

ADVERTISEMENT

News Video

IMM Mask Promos

I Messenger Media Radio Shows

ADVERTISEMENT

Related Articles

DMN Stories

Adults 65 and older who want to live alone in a North Texas rental property must have over $36,000 annually to live independently, according...

News

Not a single day goes by without President Donald Trump proving throughout the day that, for him, we have greatly lowered the bar for...

DMN Stories

The Karmelo Anthony case has been discussed and dissected every day on social media in the year since the Frisco teenager was accused of...

DMN Stories

Former Mayor Mike Rawlings is ramping up the fight over City Hall as questions grow over how to reshape downtown Dallas.

Advertisement