Uncategorized

WHITE HOUSE INITIATIVE ON ADVANCING EDUCATIONAL EQUITY, EXCELLENCE, AND ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY FOR BLACK AMERICANS

• The Biden Administration is committed to advancing equity, excellence, and justice for Black Americans from early childhood through their chosen career.  
  • In spite of the progress our country has made, entrenched disparities continue to plague America’s education system, holding back far too many Black students from reaching their full potential in the classroom and beyond.
    • Black students are still more likely than their white counterparts to attend high-poverty and racially segregated schools, face inequitable discipline, and face limited access to advanced and college-preparatory courses.  
  • To advance equity in our Nation’s schools and to promote the economic opportunity that follows it, the White House Initiative on Educational Equity, Excellence, and Economic Opportunity for Black Americans exists in the Department of Education and chaired by the Secretary of Education.
  • The initiative will focus on advancing educational equity and economic opportunity for Black students, families, and communities. Their work includes:
    • Improving data collection and evidence-based strategies
    • Increasing Black children’s and families’ access to and participation in early childhood programs
    • Addressing the inequitable treatment of Black children and eliminating segregation among and within schools
    • Breaking down barriers that impede access to higher education  institutions such as HBCUs.