Dallas College Celebrates Grand Opening Of Construction Sciences Building

Dallas College Executive Vice Chancellor
Wood Ribbon Cutting (L to R) Phillip Ritter (Dallas College Board Vice Chair), Chris Peck (J.E. Dunn Construction North Texas Region Managing Director and former CEF Board Chairman), Dr. Joe May (Dallas College Chancellor), Dr. Christa Slejko (Dallas College North Lake Campus President), Dr. Veronique Tran (Vice Provost Dallas College School of Manufacturing and Industrial Technology), Dr. Justin Lonon (Dallas College Executive Vice Chancellor)

Dallas College held a grand opening celebration last week for its state-of-the-art Construction Sciences Building. Approximately 300 attendees, representing industry partners and community and education leaders, were in attendance.
Dr. Joe May, Dallas College Chancellor, thanked the Construction Education Foundation (CEF) for its 20-plus year partnership and collaboration in bringing the LEED Silver building to fruition.

“At Dallas College, our mission is ‘to transform lives and communities through higher education,’ and this new Construction Sciences building is the latest tool to aid us in this regard,” he said. “Our goal for this building is to serve as a vehicle for putting people in our community back to work in high-demand construction and skilled trades jobs.”

Dallas College Board Vice Chair Phillip Ritter spoke of the many people and partners that moved the building forward from conception to reality. “This facility, with these partnerships, is an example of what is possible when you collaborate with Dallas College for the benefit of our students and economy,” he said.

Construction Sciences Exterior
Construction Sciences Exterior

Countless hours of consultation and more than $2.5 million in monetary and in-kind donations have helped build and equip the Construction Sciences Building.

Through this 97,000-square-foot building, Dallas College and its partners will train apprentices and craft professionals in construction trades, and field engineers, supervisors and construction managers. Purpose-built, interactive, high-tech classrooms with adjacent laboratories for teaching demonstrations and active learning support the high-quality instruction. Covered exterior lab space allows for outdoor equipment use, mock-ups and assembly installations in various conditions and temperatures, as well as materials storage.

Dallas ISD Wilmer-Hutchins E-TECH Early College High School students already began their construction education in the new building this fall. “The opportunity to develop industry connections and learn market-aligned skills—for free—will undoubtedly place them on a path toward life-long success,” said Dr. May.