Calendar

Garland Events: 1/16-1/29

January 18

Teen Night at Jumping World 4445 Saturn Rd. Garland 8 pm-12 am. Tickets: www.jumpingworldusa.com $20 + tax admission Laser Light Show at 9 pm.
Jumpers will get a slice of pizza and a bottle of water.

January 19

Collin County MLK Association Business & Information Fair at Collin College- Spring Creek Campus 2800 E. Spring Creek Pkwy. Plano. 10am-12pm. This event begins immediately following the MLK Community Breakfast in the atrium at Collin County College Spring Creek Campus. Guest may visit with a variety of local vendors and various businesses from the health and education industry. This is a great opportunity to learn about local businesses. If you are a local business or a nonprofit organization you should sign up to be a vendor.

Northeast Dallas Mardi Gras Gala 2019 by Northeast Dallas Chapter of Jack & Jill of America, Inc. at Courtyard by Marriott Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center 210 E. Stacy Rd. Allen. 6 pm-12 am. The Northeast Dallas Chapter of Jack and Jill of America, Inc. is hosting its 3rd Annual Mardi Gras Fundraiser. This year we are proud to partner with the Garland Independent School District’s Foundation honoring the achievements of graduating seniors in pursuit of higher education. It is our goal to give a financial gift to students with an economic need and a desire to succeed post-high school. We are also honored to continue to support our very own Jack and Jill of America, Incorporated Foundation. An evening of fun in the spirit of Mardi Gras. The Mardi Gras Gala will be a night to remember while supporting a good cause. Your ticket includes dinner, live entertainment, an auction, and so much more. 6 pm is jazz cocktail hour featuring Apt 4B. The ballroom doors will then open at 7:30 pm for dinner while being serenaded by Unfaded Brass Band and Martha Burks Band.

Martin Luther King, Jr. Parade & Community Celebration. Parade 10am Downtown Mesquite Community Celebration 2pm Mesquite Arts Center 1527 N. Galloway Ave. More info: www.MesquiteNAACP.com Parade and community celebration honoring the life and legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. will be held. The parade will begin at 10 am. in downtown Mesquite followed by the community celebration at 2 pm. at the Mesquite Arts Center Concert Hall, located at 1527 North Galloway Ave. The community celebration will feature remarks by various church pastors and community leaders, dance and musical performances, plus monologues.

The parade is open to businesses, organizations and schools in the Mesquite and surrounding areas. The cost is $45 per entry for the parade, to register or for more information please contact: NAACP of Mesquite at 972-861-0863 or www.MesquiteNAACP.com

30th Annual MLK Parade and March Hosted by Garland NAACP. Parade 10:00 AM Parade line-up begins at 9:00 AM

Route: Parade starts on Dairy Road @ Garden Drive North on Dairy Road to Highway 66 (Avenue D) West (left) on Highway 66 (Avenue D) to First Street North (right) on First Street to Highway 66 (Avenue B) West (left) on Highway 66 (Avenue B) to Fifth Street North (right) on Fifth Street to Austin Street (parade ends 330 North 5th Street)

Following the Garland MLK Parade, the celebration continues with a free performance from the MLK Communitywide Youth Choir. 12:00 PM at Granville Arts Center – Brownlee Auditorium, 300 N. Fifth Street, Garland.

Mobile Flu Vaccine Clinic: Dallas County Health and Human Services will offer a free flu vaccination clinic from 10 am to 12 pm at the South Garland Library, 4845 Broadway Blvd. Seniors and adults 18 years and older can receive a flu shot at no cost during this time. No vaccinations for children will be available.

Pete’s Dragon: Watch the Film and Make a Dragon!
Children can enjoy a free screening of the 2016 film Pete’s Dragon at 2 pm. Saturday, at the South Garland Branch Library, 4845 Broadway Blvd. Attendees can also make their own dragon out of colored paper cups, pom poms, googly eyes, and red, orange and yellow streamers. Pete’s Dragon is rated PG and relates the adventures of an orphan boy named Pete and his dragon friend Elliot. Free popcorn and water will be available while supplies last. 972-205-3933 for more information.

January 20

MLK youth extravaganza: As part of the MLK Parade festivities, Local Youth Groups display their tremendous talents in praise dance and step routines in this free show. 4:00 PM at Granville Arts Center – Brownlee Auditorium, 300 N. Fifth Street, Garland. To enter the parade and march, a sign MUST be on or carried with each entry. The parade line up begins at Austin Academy, 1125 Beverly Dr., Garland, 75040. Mail all parade entries to: Attention Gwen Daniels, MLK Events Coordinator, NAACP Garland Unit, and P.O. Box 460944, Garland, TX 75046. Download Youth Extravaganza entry form here:

Come.Unity.2019 at One Community Church 2400 Texas 121, Plano 6:30 pm-8:30 pm. Eventbrite. COME.Unity.2019 is an evening of inspiration, hope, and challenge. Come see and experience the power of Scripture, Spoken word, a panel discussion on race and reconciliation in the Church, and hear the power of our multi-ethnic, multi-denominational choir united with one voice, one spirit, and one sound.

COME.Unity.2019 will be held at the main campus of the dynamic, multicultural ONE Community Church located just off of Hwy 121 in Plano. This will be a night you don’t want to miss.

January 21

Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Celebration: Realizing the Dream Healthy Living Expo ’19 Hosted by: I Messenger Media L.L.C. Publisher Cheryl Smith at the African American Museum – Fair Park, Dallas 10 am – 6 pm

January 22

“Elf Jr.” By Breitling Performing Arts at Plaza Theatre 521 State St. 9:45 am. Breitling Performing Arts presents the modern day holiday favorite, “Elf, Jr.” Watch the onstage adaptation, featuring young performers in the tale of Buddy the Elf, an orphaned human who’s raised by elves and seeks to find his father to save him from the dreaded Naughty List. Tickets: ActingForChildren.org.

January 25

“The Wizard of Oz” at the Plaza Theatre 521 State St. 9:45 am. Breitling Performing Arts presents the Frank L. Baum classic, featuring young performers as your favorite characters. Follow Dorothy, Toto, Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion down the Yellow Brick Road! Tickets: ActingForChildren.org.