Arts & Entertainment

Dallas Theater Center Brings the Party Under the Sea in “The Little Mermaid”

Ariel (Christina Austin Lopez), Sebastian (Zachary J. Willis)
Ariel (Christina Austin Lopez), Sebastian (Zachary J. Willis) and other members of the cast perform “Under the Sea” in The
Dallas Theater Center production of “The Little Mermaid.”
Photo courtesy of “The Company of Disney’s The Little Mermaid.”

By Elizabeth De Santiago
JournaliZm

The Dallas Theater Center production of “The Little Mermaid” is a bubbly, fun adventure for the whole family to enjoy under the sea.

In the beginning, Executive Director Kevin Moriarty asked an important question: “How can a community come together to form a shared story?”

He wanted to include all of Dallas to make a show for the community by the community, by incorporating all ages, races and skill levels.

Through the Public Works Program, professional actors go out into the metroplex year round to hold acting workshops in different neighborhoods across Dallas for people of all ages.

Through this program and the Summer Stage workshop, performers from all around Dallas were able to get involved with performers in this production ranging from as young as eight to 80+ years old. “Their excitement and their drive and will to be a part of this huge project adds into the chemistry in the room,” said Liz Mikel, who performed as Ursula in the production. “A company, along with the community members, it’s a heightened sense of gratitude in the room that we are able to all be together there making this beautiful memory for those people on stage as well as the Dallas community as a whole.”

Mikel masterfully embodied the character of Ursula.

From the deep, penetrating tone in her voice to the slick, slithery movements she made on stage, Mikel made Ursula her own. In her performance of “Poor Unfortunate Souls,” her execution as the wicked sea witch elevated the performance, while remaining true to the original character.

“It’s a role that I’ve been wanting to play for a number of years. I do a lot of musicals and this is a role that spoke to me a while ago. I’ve always loved the character and wanted to do the live version.” Mikel said.

Christina Austin Lopez’s portrayal of Ariel was spot on. Ariel’s character is naive, adventurous and rebellious when faced with unattainable love. Austin Lopez’s skillful use of action and expressions after Ariel loses her voice to Ursula, brought the performance to life, even without words.

“I just imitate. It was like figuring out what Ariel knows and what she doesn’t know because she’s been underwater her whole life,” Austin Lopez said. “If somebody bows to her, she’s not going to know to curtsy, she’s going to imitate it and bow back.”

Ursula (Liz Mikel) performs
Ursula (Liz Mikel) performs “Poor Unfortunate Souls” in The Dallas Theater Center production of “The Little Mermaid.”
Photo courtesy Liz Mikel in Disney’s The Little Mermaid

Austin Lopez played opposite her boyfriend, Kevin Solis, who was cast as Prince Eric in the production. This added another layer of authenticity to Prince Eric and Ariel’s charming onstage chemistry.

Furthering the mission of getting all of Dallas involved, the actors performed multiple parts in Spanish to include latino members of the audience.

“Dallas is largely com- posed of a lot of latinos and a lot of spanish speakers, so we wanted to make sure that there was a level of accessibility in the play,” Austin Lopez said. “It’s really cool that they cast a Latina Ariel and Latino Prince Eric, so we were able to do those moments without it feeling like it’s not genuine, because we actually know how to speak Spanish.”

The musical even incorporated interactive scenes with the audience, allowing members to play instruments, blow bubbles and even hit the chef in the back with a chicken leg in the crab chase scene.

With costume designer Hope Cox, the outfits of the performers were nothing short of spectacular. Some of the intricate costume designs include pieces like the innovative ‘knee brace-like’ material which slipped off to reveal Ariel’s feet and Ursula’s tentacles.

“The costumes are extraordinary, she had to come up with unique ideas for us to embody people from the Earth, Prince Eric and Grimsby, all those people. Then she also created to embody the underworld of the sea,” Mikel said. “I love my costume, it makes me feel grand and regal.”

To experience the talent and fun yourself, the Dallas Theater Center’s next show will be Dracula: A Comedy of Terrors starting Oct. 11.

“We have to have an audience and we try to do theater for the entire community.

Something at the theater will speak to them whether it’s A Christmas Carol, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat or the Little Mermaid. There’s something for everybody at the theater,” Mikel said.

Elizabeth De Santiago is an intern for Texas Metro News. She is a rising junior at Coppell High School. Her passion for journalism began after writing for her school’s student newspaper. In her free time she enjoys skateboarding around her local park.