JournaliZm

The Private and Public School Experience

By Sydney LaCour
JournaliZm

Choosing between public and private schools can significantly shape a student’s educational journey.

Each type of school offers unique experiences that can influence academic achievement, social development, and overall well-being.

I was able to get a taste of both. First through fifth grade, I went to a private Christian K- 12 school. At my school, the class size was quite small, meaning there were multiple cliques within the grade. But that also means that you know everyone, who their friends are, and who their family is.

I can see how a smaller education structure like this would appeal to some, though comparatively it wasn’t for me.

Another aspect of the school was how the actual academics and learning was very involved and quality. The type and or amount of education is definitely admirable, because it makes the effort to set up the students for success later in life.

Something else, that I only truly realized after I had switched schools, and is likely my biggest takeaway from my private school experience, is that there was division within the environment. I was one of the four Black people in my grade, and I absolutely knew that.

Again, I didn’t properly ac- knowledge the fact, and its effects on me, but as a child, I was well aware I was different from most of the other students.

Now, that fact never stopped me from making friends, participating in activities, or so on, but it did cause a lot of internal conflict with myself.

Sixth through twelfth grade, I went to three different public schools. I think the most obvious difference to me would be the diversity. Diversity in class, race, background, ethnicity, language and experiences. Another difference is that the class size is much larger, which is fun because you are able to make new, unknown friends in every class. A similarity I found was that there are still cliques. More cliques, even bigger, but also for some rea- son a different dynamic from the ones at private school.

I want to say that my public school experience was so much better than my time in private school, but I can’t say that with confidence. While I absolutely believe it was better in some areas, I still didn’t completely love it.

But who really likes middle and high school?

In the public or private school structure, I think a child is properly able to build resilience, navigate social dynamics, develop opinions and contribute to their community, so neither is better than the other.

The schooling experience comes from what you make it, so either choice could be the best for you.

Sydney LaCour is an intern at Texas Metro News and an incoming fresh- man at the University of Missouri, where she will major in Journalism. She strives daily to be an empathetic, understanding, and passionate person. Additionally, she has a passion for music and enjoys reading a good book.