DeSoto ISD Elementary Scholars Harvest School Gardens, Practice Sustainable Gardening and Environmental Science 

DeSoto ISD Elementary Scholars Harvest School Gardens

DeSoto, TX –Students at Amber Terrace, Cockrell Hill, and The Meadows (PreK through 5th grade) got their hands dirty this school year as part of a garden revitalization project, sponsored by WIPRO at the University of North Texas at Dallas. The initiative aimed to teach kids about where food comes from and the importance of healthy eating. Students grew a variety of plants using both hydroponic and traditional outdoor gardens. They learned how to care for the plants, watched them grow from seeds to maturity, and experienced the joy of harvesting their own fresh produce.

See the Photo Album Here

The hydroponic garden system allowed students to grow plants without soil by using nutrient-rich water instead. They were able to see the roots develop and got a close-up look at the plant life cycle. The outdoor garden exposed students to more traditional gardening methods and allowed students to learn how to use different garden tools. They prepared the soil, planted seeds, and seedlings, weeded, and watered the plants as they grew under the Texas sun.

To close out the year and the gardening experience, students were able to harvest ripe produce like tomatoes, peppers, and leafy greens from the gardens. Not only did these experiences teach students valuable lessons, but it also provided healthy food for their families to enjoy. Students were also able to provide our Super proud Superintendent, Dr. Rodgers, with some vegetables from their harvest. The garden project was a huge success in getting DeSoto’s youngest students interested and invested in gardening, nutrition, and environmental responsibility. The school district looks forward to continuing to “grow” green thumbs in the 2024 – 2025 school year!

About DeSoto Independent School District 

DeSoto ISD is a public independent school district serving more than 6,000 students and 800 employees. The district comprises 10 campuses serving students from early childhood through graduation. DeSoto ISD’s mission is to ensure students, without exception, learn and grow at their highest level. The District’s 2021 Be The Future Strategic Plan focuses on equity, access, and excellence to provide a holistic and well-rounded educational experience to students and families in DeSoto, Glenn Heights, and Ovilla.

For more information about DeSoto ISD, visit www.desotoisd.org.