Wilmer’s Eddie Bernice Johnson STEM Academy fosters academics and community involvement

Hon. Eddie Bernice Johnson
Hon. Eddie Bernice Johnson

WILMER – Since opening its doors in August 2020, Wilmer’s Eddie Bernice Johnson STEM Academy, which is part of the Dallas ISD, has maintained a STEM-related focus for its students.

Umoja S. Turner, the elementary school’s founding principal said the STEM focus involves integrating science, technology engineering, and mathematics across subjects as well as fostering firsthand learning experiences, and leveraging modern technology tools.

“By immersing students in inter-disciplinary projects, encouraging critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and providing authentic learning experiences for students; we prepare them to have the essential skills to be successful today and, in the future,” said Turner.

The school also offers competitions, clubs, organizations, and sports alongside active involvement in the community, he explained.

“Active involvement in the community fosters mutual support and strengthens ties between the school and local residents, enhancing social cohesion and civic engagement.”

Through his leadership at EBJ STEM Academy the principal assures the reciprocal relationships benefits the community while providing access to educational resources, opportunities for collaboration, and promoting a sense of ownership and pride.

“We ensure this by organizing community events, facilitating volunteer programs, and actively seeking input from community members to tailor our initiatives to their needs and interests,” Turner added.

Eddie Bernice Johnson STEM Academy is named for former U.S. Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson and serves 465 students in grades pre-K through fifth grade.

At the time of her retirement, Johnson was Science, Space, and Technology Committee Chairwoman.