Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Soaring Higher with DeSoto ISD

Superintendent shares numerous successes under her leadership

From Staff Reports

As the school year comes to a rapid close, DeSoto ISD Superintendent Dr. Usamah Rodgers shared highlights of the district’s progress, at the annual State of the District Luncheon.

Speaking to its local business & civic community during a lunch event hosted by the DeSoto Area Chamber of Commerce; Dr. Rodgers stressed the importance of “preserving our past and reimagining our future,” as she announced the re-launching and rebranding of programs, namely Early College and Talented and Gifted Programs.

“We were able to share our academic achievements and the gains we have been making, the business systems we put in place, our strategies for communications and marketing, and we’re keeping our schools safe and secure,” said Dr. Rodgers, who thanked the community partners and supporters for their assistance. “We can’t do this alone!”

Dr. Usamah Rodgers
Dr. Usamah Rodgers DeSoto ISD Superintendent

In a program that included DeSoto High School students participating at all levels, including as emcees, hosts, meal preparers and servers, and entertainment.

Opening the program, the DeSoto High School JROTC Eagle Battalion presented the colors as members of the Woodridge Fine Arts Elementary Choir sang the national anthem.

DeSoto High School senior leaders, Joshua Levine and Tatum Carter opened the event as emcees following guests networking as they entered the DeSoto Civic Center’s Blue-bonnet Room while tunes from the DeSoto High School and Curtistene S. McCowan Middle School jazz bands welcomed the guests to their seats.

Both Levine and Carter are graduating with Associate Degrees as participants in the Early College Program.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The guests dined on entrees prepared by the DeSoto High School Culinary Arts students, at tables with centerpieces designed by students in DHS Floral Design class. Framed artwork by the district’s fine arts students was dis- played throughout the venue.

Dr. Rodgers’ presentation focused on four critical areas of the district’s efforts to enhance the Triple-A Experience, the district’s well-rounded and holistic approach to education rooted in academics, arts, and athletics:

• Academics – Chief Academic Officer Stephanie McCloud
  • Safety – Chief of Maintenance and Operations James Thomas
  • Finance – Interim Chief Business Officer Michael McSwain
  • Communications – Chief Communications Officer Tiffanie Black- mon-Jones

During this event, district, city, and state elected officials and staff, corporate, and small business owners got a glimpse of how the district is soaring higher through the Triple-A Experience of academics, arts, and athletics and received a call-to-action to be active supporters of the students and district.

The DeSoto Area Chamber of Commerce Chair Eugene Walker, Jr. said the program was informative especially with the growth of the district and acceleration rate of the students..

“We were enlightened about all the positive things that are happening in the district. I learned some things.”

He said the Chamber is committed to helping the city maintain a strong business community by continuing to work toward improving and strengthening partnerships with its members and the stakeholders.

IMM Mask Promos

I Messenger Media Radio Shows