Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Bobbie L. Lang Hall of FameLuncheon and Induction Ceremony

By Gwendolyn J. Brantley
Special to Texas Metro News

It was an opportunity to salute educators as the African American Education Archives and History Program inducted and enshrined nine outstanding educators at the 2023 Bobbie L. Lang Hall of Fame Luncheon and Induction Ceremony, held recently.

This year’s honorees were Alene Baker, Dr. Lew Blackburn, S. Dean Hill, Earl A. Jones, Thelma Kelly, William S. Mitchell, Billie Kerl Roberts (deceased) Dr. Juanita Cleaver Simmons and Eugene Young, III; recognized for outstanding contributions to the educational experience of African Americans in Dallas County.

Additionally, Judge Joan Tarpley was presented with the Trailblazer Award and all honorees received proclamations from Congresswoman Jasmine Crockett, State Senator Royce West, and State Representatives Yvonne Davis, Toni Rose and Carl Sherman, Sr.

This year’s program was dedicated to three Hall of Famers who transitioned this year: Dr. George Keaton, Jr, Stacy Mosley, and Dr. Claude Williams, Sr. and the Mistress of Ceremonies was Cheryl Smith, Owner and Publisher, Texas Metro News.

The following new students were presented $3,000 scholarships: Amaria Hubbard and Aujenae Jones. Christian Henry, Ariel Hubbard, Crystal Henry, and Rachel Clifton are continuing students and received $1,000. Christian will be a senior in the fall and will graduate a year early and Ariel will be a junior in the fall; Crystal and Rachel will be completing “student teaching” in the fall and will graduate at the end of the fall semester. All the scholarship recipients are education majors with plans to become teachers.

Individuals who contributed to the scholarship program for 2023 are: Shirley Ison Newsome-$1000, Johnnie Brashear-$1,000, Robert Ward $500-Book Scholarship, and Brian and Jordan Newsome $500-Book Scholarship. Future scholarships to be given in the name of Billie Kerl Roberts: Donors are Shirley Ison Newsome and Dr. and Mrs. Earnest Harrison.

The Outstanding Young Educator’s Award was presented to Brittney C. Johnson, a teacher at James Madison High School.

The efforts of AAEAHP volunteers have resulted in 175 individuals being inducted into the AAEAHP Hall of Fame. A permanent pictorial exhibition of inductees (2004-2023) is in the Helen Giddings Solarium in the African American Museum in historic Fair Park.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

IMM Mask Promos

I Messenger Media Radio Shows