Deacon Katherine Janice Morrison 1947 – 2022

The Legacy of Katherine Janice Morrison

In Remembrance Deacon Katherine Janice Morrison

Katherine Janice Morrison, named for her mother, was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee on January 6, 1947. Her parents, Jack and Katherine Foster often dressed Janice and her sister Jacquelyn, older by 20 months, in handsewn matching outfits causing many in their community to mistake them for twin sisters. Janice soon outgrew Jackie in height and became a popular young member of the Robbins Street neighborhood where she was revered for her energetic style of play, athletic prowess and ability to “keep up with the boys” in activities like basketball. The Fosters also welcomed a pair of first cousins into the home: sisters Deborah and Beverly Tatum, causing Jack to be greatly outnumbered 5-to-1 with women in his household. Janice, also known as “Punny,” was a student of the kitchen, closely studying her mother’s recipes and culinary tactics that would help her grow into a skilled cook known for preparing delicious meals and baked goods.

She graduated from Riverside High School in 1964. Upon graduation she enrolled at Tennessee State University, where she graduated with a degree in Social Work in 1968. While at TSU Kathrine met and married her one true love Harold Morrison Jr. a native of The Big “A”, Alexandria, Louisiana also a student at TSU. They met at a campus dance freshman year. Upon Harold’s graduation they married on November 29th, 1969. The newlyweds moved to Illinois where they lived until moving to Dallas, Texas in 1974. In 1976 they welcomed their first child a daughter (Myesia Oni) and 4 years later in 1980 they welcomed their second child a son (Brennan Jerrod).

Katherine worked for 20 years at Dallas Mental Health before moving on to the Dallas Housing Authority where she worked for eight years before retiring in 2008. Kathrine was a member of Friendship West Baptist Church where she was involved in several ministries. Such as ARJ Seniors ministry, First Friends ministry. Katherine was also an Ordained Deacon of Friendship West Baptist Church.

Through the years, Janice’s array of talents led her down the path of creative entrepreneurship, which included designing, event planning, special occasion baking and nail art. She was as lucky with the odds as she was in love and life, often bringing home winnings from her daily dalliances with the lottery or a day at the casino. Janice was widely known for her stunning looks, spending meticulous time on her hair, nails and outfit selections. Her sense of style was particularly notable during Sunday services and on special occasions. In a word, Mrs. Morrison did not miss! She will, however, be deeply missed as a wife, mother, grandmother to J-Rod, aunt, cousin, neighbor, church member and member of her community.

Katherine is preceded in death by her Mother Katherine Foster and Father Jack Foster.

Kathrine is survived by her husband Harold Morrison Jr. Children Myesia Oni Morrison (Mike Spencer Jr.) and Brennan Jerrod Morrison (Yolanda). Sisters Jackie Foster Rice, Debra Gilmore (Anthony), Beverley Tatum, and Emily Pearson. Grandchild Brennan Jerrod Morrison II. Niece Lindsay Rhyne (Jason), Nephews Adrian Gilmore (Amanda) and Carlos Pearson, Great-Niece Jarreau Rhyne. Godson Christopher McGensy.

Thank you to team of doctors, nurses, and other staff who attended to Mom’s needs during this time. We appreciate your dedication and compassion.