PUBLIC EDUCATION COMMITTEE CHAIRMEN ENDORSE MAYOR ERIC JOHNSON

Current Chairman & Three Former Public Ed Chairs Praise Mayor Johnson for Leadership on Education

Eric Johnson
Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson

Dallas, TX – In an unprecedented move, the current Chairman of the Public Education Committee in the Texas House of Representatives and three immediate past Chairmen of the Public Education Committee all endorsed Eric Johnson for re -election as Mayor of Dallas.

Endorsements came from every Chairman of Public Education with whom Mayor Johnson served during his nine-plus years as a state representative. The bipartisan group of leaders includes current Chairman Harold Dutton, and past Chairmen Rob Eissler (2009-2012), Jimmie Don Aycock (2013-2016) and Dan Huberty (2017-2020).

“It was an honor to serve Texas students with these great statewide education leaders, who share my belief that the success of our children is critical to a community’s success,” Mayor Johnson said. “My commitment to education has only grown stronger as Mayor because successful schools and students strengthen our families, our workforce, and our future,” continued Mayor Johnson.

“From ending the school-to-prison pipeline to increasing funding for early childhood education, Eric Johnson is a forward-thinking leader who has had a tremendous impact on our children. I know the schoolchildren of Dallas are well-served by his leadership as Mayor,” said Chairman Harold Dutton, who was appointed Chair of Public Education by Speaker Dade Phelan in 2021.

“When it comes to advancing the needs of our students and public schools, you can count on Eric Johnson to do what’s right. His commitment to early childhood education — specifically full day, quality Pre-K programs — has made a lasting impact on our students and our state. Our students and schools are stronger because of his hard work in the Texas House, and now as Mayor of Dallas,” said former Chairman Dan Huberty.

Chairman Dan Huberty led legislation that overhauled the state’s school finance system and made historic new investments in public education funding, including more than $550 million in new funding to Dallas ISD, teacher pay increases and funding for full-day pre-K.

Former Chairman Rob Eissler said, “Eric Johnson is a proactive thinker who has made a deep impact on public education. From legislation banning the suspension of elementary school kids to a law rewarding Dallas ISD for graduating students early from high school, his experience as an education thought-leader in the Texas House gives him an understanding that is unparalleled, and a next-level ability to serve the students and schools of Dallas.”

And former Chairman Jimmie Don Aycock said, “I know how much Eric Johnson values education for every child. His re-election will help Dallas children.”

As a member of the Texas House for nine years before being elected Mayor, Eric Johnson was one of the Texas Legislature’s most vocal and consistent advocates for greater funding of full-day, high-quality pre-K, and he passed legislation allowing Dallas ISD to take money saved from early high school graduations and reinvest it in full-day pre-K in the district.

As a state lawmaker, Eric Johnson also worked to dismantle the school-to-prison pipeline by passing legislation to prohibit student suspensions in pre-K through second grade. He also passed a bill in the Texas House to require schools to report demographic data about student suspensions to the state, which will allow researchers and elected officials to craft better policies related to student discipline.

Since becoming Mayor of Dallas in 2019, Eric Johnson has continued his commitment to Dallas students. He runs the annual Mayor’s Back to School Fair, which helps more than 10,000 families receive free school supplies and services. He created Dallas Works, a summer jobs program for Dallas youth. And he launched the Summer of Safety initiative, a campaign to direct schoolchildren to the city’s summer youth events and programs, such as “SMART Summer with Mayor Johnson,” a summer reading program.

“It is vital that we continue to work with parents and educators in Dallas to ensure that our kids stay on the path to graduation and are well-prepared for lasting careers. Workforce readiness is a top priority for our city and its future, and nothing matters more to our workforce than the quality of our public schools,” Mayor Johnson continued.

The son of a former Dallas police officer, Mayor Johnson grew up in West Dallas and Oak Cliff and returned to his hometown immediately upon completing his formal education. He received his bachelor’s degree with honors from Harvard University in 1998, as well as a law degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School and a master’s degree from Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, both in 2003.

Mayor Johnson and his wife Nakita are raising three children in Dallas.