Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Weighing in on Supreme Court decisions

MIRANDA

Since 1966, citizens could count on protection against self-incrimination by pro-hibiting sanctions against police officers who fail to advise a suspect of their Miranda Rights:

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in court. You have the right to talk to a lawyer for advice before we ask you any questions. You have the right to have a lawyer with you during questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. If you decide to answer questions now without a lawyer present, you have the right to stop answering at any time.

The Supreme Court has voted to limit the ability to enforce those rights, noting that suspects who aren’t warned about their right to remain silent can no longer sue an officer under federal civil rights laws.

ROE v. WADE

In 1973, the Supreme Court issued a 7–2 decision that protected a pregnant woman’s right to an abortion.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

This month, both decisions were overturned.

Here are perspectives from members of our Editorial Team:

ANGELINA LIU

ANGELINA LIU

Roe v. Wade

I’m annoyed and angry that Roe v. Wade was overturned. I believe that the government should not decide what women do with their bodies. Women should have a choice when it comes to their bodies. Being pro-choice is not pro-abortion. Pro-choice gives her and other women an option on whether they want an abortion or not. Overturning Roe v. Wade is a step backwards.

Miranda Rights

Miranda Rights not being read impacts uneducated people. Educated people are protected because of their knowledge about Miranda Rights. People from lower economic backgrounds are not and that is unfair.

Angelina Liu is a senior at Coppell High School.

NYCORTA MABRY, JR.

NYCORTA MABRY, JR.

Roe v. Wade

It seems like there’s so many other issues that should be focused on which makes me question why it is so important to them. Obviously, they want some type of control, but I feel like it has to be deeper than that. What is it that they’re gaining with overturning those rules?

With everything taken away and stripping women of their right to think for themselves, we’re trying to get back to a place of freedom; financial and emotional.

Miranda Rights

My parents are police officers, so I know a bit about Miranda rights and how important they are. There are several instances when officers have not treated brown and black individuals with the same spirit that they might with others. So you’ve already had that situation happen and then you add this into the equation. It just gives us another opportunity for an officer whose job is to protect and serve to use his authority to demean. Now, because they’re protected by law, they can legally do it.

Nycorta Mabry, Jr. is a junior at Grambling State University

MAYA PALAVALI

MAYA PALAVALI

Roe v. Wade

It’s a catalyst to who is in charge. It is worrisome for everyone, especially in minority communities, but it’s important for us to not lose hope. I found out on Instagram, but I’m honestly numb to it because we’ve become so desensitized to the things going on in the world as a result of social media.”

Miranda Rights

I think it is disappointing. I was just finding out about the Miranda Rights situation but there are communities that will be affected.”

Maya Palavali is a senior at Coppell High School.

ASIA N. ALCORN

ASIA N. ALCORN

Roe v. Wade

I am a mother. It’s just a lot to take in. It was a tough decision, but I made the decision that was right for me and what I believe in, and I also believe that women should have a choice.

It’s very frustrating to see men making rules about women’s bodies, what they can and cannot do. I’m very disappointed.

The decision isn’t going to prevent people from getting abortions. It’s just gonna prevent women from getting or anyone from getting safe abortions because people if they want one, they will go out of their way to make it happen.

This is actually going to harm so many people. Because of this one decision along the process, you have to think about so many other different situations like people who have been assaulted, or young women or people who are pregnant and they have to carry a baby full term, but that doesn’t guarantee that they’re gonna make it through the pregnancy.

Miranda Rights

It will cause a lot of damage more than anything because people should know their rights, but some people are not knowledgeable about that stuff. So if they were to be arrested, there are possibilities that they will incriminate themselves.

Asia N. Alcorn is a Senior at the University of North Texas.

KENDALL WASHINGTON

KENDALL WASHINGTON

Roe v. Wade

“I believe Roe v Wade being overturned is unfortunate, especially when the people who made the decision were concerned about babies being murdered. They were more concerned about the white population declining because the white people were afraid of being the minorities. I also believe that the reason why people get abortions most of the time isn’t because they don’t want to have a baby is because of their health reasons. Or in some cases, because the woman was raped and she doesn’t feel comfortable having the baby or because she can’t afford to have the baby, or because it may be sick, and it needs to, it wouldn’t be able to make it. So there’s a lot of reasons why people behind why people have abortions. I also believe that the people who are pro life really aren’t pro life, and that they should be more concerned about getting rid of the death penalty. They should be more concerned about African American men being killed by police.”

Miranda Rights

“I believe that Miranda Rights being taken away from citizens is definitely wrong because a lot of people need to understand what they’re entering when they are being arrested and being taken under police custody. A lot of people don’t know the rights that they have. They may be uneducated, they may be homeless and they don’t know what’s going on. They don’t know the current events. So I believe it is unfair that people aren’t being read their rights.”

Kendall Washington is a senior at Bishop Dunne High School.

INIYA V. NATHAN

INIYA V. NATHAN

Roe v. Wade

It was a shock to see in the beginning they were even thinking about overturning Roe v. Wade. I hoped if the majority of the people didn’t want it to be overturned then it wouldn’t be. However, we know that now to be false. I wish the people had more knowledge about what was going on before a decision was made. It’s not fair for someone to just say, ‘Well, I’m conservative and anti-abortion, so therefore abortion shouldn’t be legal.’ The entire point behind the initial ruling is people should have a right to privacy. Now, I’m trying to comprehend how this new ruling is going to affect everyone else and other rulings related to privacy.

Miranda Rights:

I genuinely don’t see any good coming out of this ruling. People should know their rights when they get arrested; it’s a basic norm. These rights were created specifically to prevent self-in-crimination. There’s a possibility people could be arrested falsely and or unfairly. I feel as though this new ruling only protects the police and not the victims. From a political standpoint, I believe protecting the police over the people isn’t the right thing to do right now.

Iniya V. Nathan is a senior at Coppell High School.

IMM Mask Promos

I Messenger Media Radio Shows