Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

DeSoto ISD Girls’ Basketball Headed to State Championship Tournament

Reigning state champion DeSoto ISD girls’ basketball team seeking repeat

State Championship Tournament

(DESOTO, TX) — The DeSoto High School girls’ basketball team is headed to San Antonio in search of another state title. This is their third appearance in the contest within the past four years.

The Lady Eagles earned the opportunity to compete in the UIL 6A state championship tournament with a 60-47 regional win over Duncanville on Feb. 26.

Ranked as the number one high school girls’ basketball team in the state of Texas and number three in the nation, they’ve dubbed this season as the “Legacy Tour,” hoping to bring home what would be their second state championship in program history.

As high-performers in academics and athletics with average GPAs of 3.9, the squad also includes seven McDonald’s All-American nominees who are also Division I NCAA signees committed to play for the following schools:

#5 Sa’Myah Smith – LSU

#14 Amina Muhammad – Texas

#11 Tionna Herron – Kentucky

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

#20 Ayanna Thompson – Ole Miss

#12 Jiya Perry – SMU

#15 Michayla Gatewood – Kansas State

#4 Ja’Mia Harris – Kansas State

The Lady Eagles will play Northside Clark, a team out of San Antonio making their tournament debut, in a semifinal round at the Alamodome on Friday, March 4 at 8:30 p.m.

A state championship send-off is scheduled for Thursday morning, March 3 at 8:00 a.m.

About DeSoto Independent School District

DeSoto ISD is a public independent school district serving more than 7,400 students and 1,000 employees. The district comprises 10 campuses serving students from early childhood through graduation. DeSoto ISD’s mission is to ensure students, without exception, learn and grow at their highest level. The District’s 2021 Be The Future Strategic Plan focuses on equity, access, and excellence in an effort to provide a holistic and well-rounded educational experience to students and families in DeSoto, Glenn Heights, and Ovilla.

For more information about DeSoto ISD, visit www.desotoisd.org.

IMM Mask Promos

I Messenger Media Radio Shows