Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Editorial

QUIT PLAYIN’: Jason Made Me/Us Proud

By Vincent L. Hall

This week I just want to express something from my heart rather than my head. The state championship victory by South Oak Cliff left me speechless and to that end I am going to relinquish my spot.

I can’t get deep because I will cry. It was a privilege for me to watch some parts of Jason Todd’s youth at my church. To see him win this championship brought me full circle.

Quit Playin

Clifton Jason Todd was a good kid. He had a strong grandfather and grandmother. Jason’s uncles include a doctor and a lawyer. But his mother and I were the best of friends. She was a stern and loving mom. She departed several years ago, but I could see that bright smile shine through heaven once the game was over.

Parenting is about instilling and installing enough in your children so that they thrive and do the right thing whether you are watching or not. Cheryle Lynn Todd was excellent at parenting and now this community is made better for her work.

Read the Resolution below produced by Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price. It speaks for itself, for Jason and for us! That’s all. Just wanted to brag about my Christmas/Kwanzaa gift! SOC gave us the gift of pride!

Whereas South Oak Cliff High School opened its doors to students in 1952 as the first DISD high school built since Lincoln High opened in 1939 and,

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Whereas South Oak Cliff High School snowballed as it welcomed students in south and east Oak Cliff, and SOC was among the largest high schools in the city before the opening of Carter and Kimball, and

Whereas South Oak Cliff High School saw a dramatic demographic change between 1966 and 1970, where the student body went from nearly 100 percent white to almost 100 percent African-American, during Dallas’ version of the national ‘White Flight” era, and,

Whereas the South Oak Cliff High School Golden Bears began and sustained a dynasty in athletics over the years and had a prominent alumnus which includes names like Dennis Rodman, Harvey Martin, Egypt Allen, Michael Downs, Nekeshia Henderson, Wayne Morris, and scores of other standouts, and

Whereas South Oak Cliff High School and made the state football playoffs 17 consecutive seasons and, as of 2021, had produced at least 24 players who have gone on to play in the National Football League, and a wealth of educators, professionals, and community activists who are model citizens, and

Whereas South Oak Cliff High School football team is headed by Clifton Jason Todd, whose grandfather Frederick D. Todd served as principal of the school during its glory days which featured a stronger emphasis on academics as a part of athletics as well as demanding excellence from his faculty, staff and student body, and
Whereas South Oak Cliff High School has a well-rounded football staff which includes: Michael Traylor, Ellis Wheatfall, Jacoby Walker, Kyle Ward, Wayne Ingram, Devon Allen, Domenic Spencer, Cranston Jones, James Davis, Keith Davis, James Gish, Christopher Pegram, and Marlon Reaves, and

Whereas South Oak Cliff High School is led by Principal Dr. W.F. Johnson, and Assistant Principals Michael Jones, Shelia Cherry-Branch, Marsha Potts, and Allen Gray Assistant Principal, who all serve under the visionary leadership of Superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa

Therefore be it resolved that the Dallas County Judge and Commissioners Court proudly join in with our citizens who rightly celebrate the South Oak Cliff Golden Bears as they claim the school’s first-ever 2021 State 5A, Division II Championship.

Vincent L. Hall is an author, activist, and an award-winning columnist.

IMM Mask Promos

I Messenger Media Radio Shows